Tuesday 26 July 2011

Bontrager 24/12

So then, the time came for my first 12 hour solo event. Feeling slightly nervous and not sure what I had got myself into I packed up from my new home in the Lake District to make the 6.5 hour journey down to Newnham Park, Plymouth.

I arrived at the race in the morning feeling excited and wanting to get stuck in. The race started on bikes so thankfully I didn't have to do the run at the beguinning, and after a 20 minute start loop the race fully kicked in and there was no getting out of it!

I had planned to stop at about 6ish, half way through the race to have a break, get some food and get my lights on ready for the evening. After completing five laps I pulled in for my break, my back had gone, my wrists were sore and my legs were beguinning to cramp. After a bacon sarnie and a much needed stretch I went back out with an aim to do 3 more laps.

During my 6th lap I hit a wall. My back had gone, my wrists were sore, I had cramp in both legs and no longer wanted to carry on. After pulling in at the arena, having another stretch and some food I felt better. Steph (my boyfriend) pulled my saddle forward allowing me to sit more upright, reducing the pain in my back and convinced me to head back out.

Having completed 8 laps I finished in 4th position. This was a position I was happy with for my first solo event. I learnt alot from this race and know now areas I can improve on and hopefully be a better and faster endurance rider.

I'm now looking forward to my first 24 hour solo event at Sleepless in the Saddle on the 6th/7th August, if I thought the 12 hour was bad I dread to think what that will be like!

No comments:

Post a Comment